[Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

Björn JACKE bjacke at SerNet.DE
Tue Feb 26 11:45:45 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-25 at 11:32 +0000 Rowland Penny via samba sent off:
> > (I take it xid stands for both uid and gid?)
>
> No, I think it was chosen to differentiate them from uidNumber &
> gidNumber attributes, they are similar but not the same. They also only
> exist on DC's

in Windows the owner of a file can be a group.

In the unix world the main owner is always a user.

To reflect the fact that the owner can be a group also, winbind
can assign both a mapped uid number and a gid number for Windows
users and groups, both uid and gid have the same value and are the xid. That
way Samba can also assign the ownership of files to a group. The idmap backend
has to be able to support XID though, not all idmap backends do so.

Björn
phone: 0551-370000-0, mail: kontakt at sernet.de
Gesch.F.: Dr. Johannes Loxen & Reinhild Jung
AG Göttingen: HR-B 2816 - https://www.sernet.de