[Samba] SAMBA DNS interfaces set to br0

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 24 19:11:36 UTC 2019

Am 24.02.19 um 16:51 schrieb Brian Davis via samba:
> On a machine with virtual networking is enabled and two ether net
> controllers eth0/192.168.1.2 and eth1/192.168.1.3 and having SAMBA smb.conf
> set to:
>
> dns interfaces = lo br0
>
> is there a chance for:
>
> 1) The system not to boot with DNS working
> 2) The DNS server bounce between eth0 and eth1
> 3) The DNS server portion work on boot sometimes on eth0, but when software
> restarted only work on eth1 or vise versa
> 4) Intermittent craziness.
>
> Clients report using nslookup working dns server on eth0 192.168.1.2
> sometimes on eth1 192.168.1.3 and of course sometimes not at all.  Restart
> of services makes it work on at least one of the controllers, but its a
> digital game of chance with no pull handle, spinning fruit, or potential
> cash payout.

sounds like your startup ordering is broken

make sure whatever is responsible for setup the bridge is started before
every other network service

on the other hand it makes no sense that eth0 and eth1 have a ip at all,
that belongs to the bridge and nothing else

that's an example how a proper bridge is configured and my
"network-up.service" is part of "network-online.target" while evry other
service has "After=network-online.target" *and*
"Requires=network-online.target"

ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link add name br-lan type bridge
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev br-lan up
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip a add 192.168.2.2/255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.2.255 dev br-lan
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev lan-spare1 master br-lan up
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev lan-spare2 master br-lan up
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev lan-tv master br-lan up
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev poe-spare master br-lan up
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/ip link set dev poe-phone master br-lan up