[Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

Sun Feb 24 11:14:18 UTC 2019

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 08:16:55AM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> Well yes, it could be used for the default domain, but what about the
> 'DOMAIN' domain ?
>
> From my understanding, the default range is meant for the Well Known
> SIDs and anything outside the given domains and there are less than two
> hundred Well known SIDs.
>
> To be honest, I have never really seen the point to autorid, it just
> seems to be the 'rid' backend with a way to set the range size.
>
> I will stick to recommending using 'tdb' for the '*' domain and 'ad'
> or 'rid' for any other domains.

Autorid is made to combine the efficiency of rid with the ease of
configuration of tdb. tdb generates a lot of entries in its database,
autorid is very small. For me, if we could, we would make autorid the
default these days. But this would break too many existing tdb default
setups. Of course, wherever people have SFU maintained in AD, that is
clearly preferrable. For everybody else, I think autorid is just a
great idea. But that's mostly me :-)

Volker

phone: 0551-370000-0, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de
Gesch.F.: Dr. Johannes Loxen und Reinhild Jung
AG Göttingen: HR-B 2816 - http://www.sernet.de