[Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Feb 23 21:23:48 UTC 2019

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:54:31 +0100
Alexander Spannagel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> We are aware of this possible clash and it's handled during users
> account creation.

If you only used one database, you would be 100% sure you wouldn't get
any clashes.

> No it won't work as our windows team doesn't accept schema changes
> for unix in AD.

How shall I put this, your windows team is either not telling you the
entire truth or is stupid. The entire RFC2307 attributes are part of
the standard Windows schema. what isn't added is IDMU and this just
makes the Unix attributes tab work in ADUC. You can however use other
tools to create Unix users etc.

> The intial reason we hitted this after upgrade from samba-4.7 to 4.8
> is a script that frequentyl checks the system for changes and a final
> "chown root.wheel FILE" freezes the system for approx a minute
> (simliar to "wbinfo -i foo"). The winbind and also sssd log showd
> that both were asked about a user "root.wheel" which is another
> question, why the notation which usually (under linux) indicates
> user.group and not an account with a dot in it's name - but more to
> glibc related. Removing winbind from nss fixed the freeze, but isn't
> an option. It leads to the point that asking winbind for an uknown
> user without domain took a long time before it returns
> WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND .

You see, there you have 2 methods checking for the same thing, also the
problem you are referring to has been fixed in the latest Samba (I
think it has also been backported).

> >> I consider sssd as 'just another' user database, like /etc/passwd
> >> (which Samba apparently does support) and I personally cannot see
> >> any difference there, but I respect your opinion.
> >>
> >> Where is it documented winbind should be the only service which
> >> should be used with nss? If it is not documented, maybe it should.
> >
> > I am not saying that sssd shouldn't be used, just Samba does not
> > support it. If you want to use sssd, then do so, just don't expect
> > to get help with using it, we don't produce it, so don't know it.
> > What I will say is this, there is no need to use both on a Unix
> > domain member, they both do the same thing.
> >
> I'm with you and don't expect that you support sssd.
> On the otherside windind shouln't require to be the only one in
> nss-setup as i didn't ever heard, that only a certain amount can be
> taken into the stack. Before nss_sss we used nss_ldap alongside with
> nss_winbind without issues.

There is no real problem with using multiple methods in nsswitch.conf,
there is just no real point, the first one to produce  a result wins
and as sssd & winbind do the same thing, you don't need both.

> The only interaction i could imagine if one of the libs in the stack
> calls the stack from beginning waiting for a certain answer ending up
> in a dead end.
> Following the functions calls of the parse_domain_user function it
> seems to me samba takes care about this with the flag
> LOOKUP_NAME_NO_NSS in the code - only an assumption as programming is
> not my daily business.
>

> >> The proof of the pudding is of course, Alexander removing sssd from
> >> nsswitch.conf and show us the problem still exists, or better yet,
> >> disappeared.
> >
> > That is what I am trying to get at, if it is a Samba problem, then
> > it will still be there after sssd is removed and the smb.conf is
> > fixed.

> >> Yep, these lines should be removed.
> >
> > Glad you agree ;-)
> >
> These were a left over from testing config changes to find a solution
> to the problem and reomving them so they get to it's default didn't
> has a real affect:
> [root at centos7dev64 ~]# testparm -v 2>/dev/null </dev/null|grep
> "ldap.*timeout"
>          ldap connection timeout = 10
>          ldap timeout = 30
> [root at centos7dev64 ~]# time wbinfo -i foo
> failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
> Could not get info for user foo
>
> real    1m1.700s
> user    0m0.049s
> sys     0m0.010s
> [root at centos7dev64 ~]# vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
> [root at centos7dev64 ~]# systemctl restart smb winbind sssd ; sss_cache
> -E ; net cache flush
> [root at centos7dev64 ~]# testparm -v 2>/dev/null </dev/null|grep
> "ldap.*timeout"
>          ldap connection timeout = 2
>          ldap timeout = 15
> [root at centos7dev64 ~]# time wbinfo -i foo
> failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
> Could not get info for user foo
>
> real    0m59.304s
> user    0m0.051s
> sys     0m0.013s
>
> Curious is also that wbinfo returns different errors for the same
> call: 1. failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
> 2. failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

This is I believe an artefact of the now fixed problem.

> The first somewhow tells me winbind got stuck or not responding in
> time. The second is more the expected response as foo does not
> provide a domain and "winbind use default domain" is set to it's
> default no - not expected the time it takes to get to this finding.

> >> That should also be fixed.
> >>

> We use this as we have a multi-domain setup on windows side and this
> is a suggested setup from wiki.samba.org:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_autorid

Cannot argue with that fact, it is there, but it also says it is meant
to be used with the 'DOMAIN' domain not the '*' domain, looks like I
will have to make that more prominent.