[Samba] lookup_name_smbconf for <user> failed

Hans Schou hsc at miracle.dk
Fri Feb 22 17:11:05 UTC 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 17:46, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:41:50 +0100
> Hans Schou via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > > Sorry, but you cannot use a workgroup with a dot in it.
> > >

> > I tried to remove ".DOM" but then I can not start smb so I added it
> > again. Maybe it is defined that way on the Domain Controller?
> >

> It probably is, but it is wrong, what is the DC ?

Im not sure what your question is but if I run these commands on the
windows computer it this:

C:\Windows\System32>echo %USERDOMAIN%
ACME.DOM

C:\Windows\System32>echo %USERDNSDOMAIN%
ACME.COM

When going to File Explorer -> This PC -> Properties
the value to "Domain:" is "acme.com"

Some part of this network installation dates back to 1995 so maybe somebody
thaught it was a good idea.

Microsoft says "period" is for special purpose
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/909264/naming-conventions-in-active-directory-for-computers-domains-sites-and

--

Venlig hilsen - best regards
*Hans Schou*