[Samba] Active Directory one Client with multiple IP addresses

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 22 16:37:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:20:29 -0600
Brian Davis via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>  >
> > and have nslookup yield the one of the working/connected ip
> > address or say first working if only 1 is connected?
> > --
>
> >> If the pc is domain join it "should" update is own dns record of
> >> done by
> the DHCP server.
> So normaly your not simultaneously connected.
>
> Do you mean DHCP server integration with SAMBA BIND9? I have read and
> configured this on roll my own SAMBA servers that I can control with
> all levers at my disposal with the security keys... commercial
> products with SAMBA integration do not expose all levers.  This in
> fact should be part of the GPL IMO.  Give users not only access to
> the source, but provide them with unfettered access to control the
> software.
>
> It is not clear to me how DHCP and AD integrate.  Currently I have
> clients issued assigned fixed IPs by DHCP to get around this.

I think Louis meant that when the network card connected it would
request a new IP and this would be updated in AD to point to the
hostname. This probably would work, but your computer would still only
have one IP pointing to the hostname, and if your computer had all
three interfaces running, it might get confused if they all hold on to
their IP's. There is also the problem of Samba, which IP should it use ?

As for Samba AD and DHCP, you could try reading this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

Rowland