[Samba] 32 seconds vs 72 minutes -- expected performance difference?

Saurabh Nanda saurabhnanda at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 02:43:11 UTC 2019

> > 2) Is this normal -- fs/cifs/smb2misc.c: Calculated size 157 length 156
> > mismatch mid 11907
>
> Could be a bug or miscalculated length + non critical warning, I also
> see this on master kernel. Either way I doubt it's slowing everything down.

Should I file a bug for this?

> ## OPERATION 1 -  `ls debug.log` -- simply listing a single file. Does
> > anything seem wrong with this?
>
> This is going to be disapointing but we don't see the error that gets
> added in the stats in this log extract. Have you checked your samba logs
> as well? There might be useful information in there (might have to
> increase "log level" in smb.conf, it can go up to 10 but that will
> generate a *lot* of data).
>
> If you still don't want to share the network capture you should at least
> try to open it yourself in wireshark, it would save everyone time.

I tried looking at the network capture using `tcpdump -A -X` but wasn't
able to understand anything. I tried installing wireshark on a throwaway
cloud instance, but realised that it's a GUI program. Can you please help
be with the network trace at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8cn0qggrvmrpc3/dump.pcap?dl=0 ? It's capturing
the network chatter for ~1min of `ls -lR` on the shared folder. Does this
help in getting to the bottom of this problem?

> Also, please attach files or disable word-wrapping when you send logs in
> the future.

Ah - I thought most mailing lists scrub attachments.

-- Saurabh.