[Samba] Windows search equivalent on Samba?

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Thu Feb 14 17:18:21 UTC 2019

In a pure Windows environment I'm helping manage, I recently had to set
up full text indexing on a file share. Since it's not possible to
actually index a file share from the client side, this has to be done on
the server itself and in case of Windows Server, this is done using the
Windows Search service. It's very easy to set up, too, just takes a few
clicks.

And Samba? A quick search on Google finds a Suse slide set from the 2015
SambaXP where this feature was discussed and certain development seems
to have happened but I couldn't find much after that, maybe someone here
can offer a current insight.

So, does Samba today support a full text index, either natively or using
third party tools, that's compatible with Windows Search? And can anyone
comment on what kind of performance disadvantage we're speaking about
when comparing full text on an indexed Windows file share and a
non-indexed Samba share?

Viktor