[Samba] Samba and ufw

Dale samba at txschroeder.family
Tue Feb 12 16:42:52 UTC 2019

On 2/12/19 2:02 AM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai,
>
> Not everyone understand iptables that good Reindl.
>
> Ufw can be handy and its usable, now gufw thats the problem here.
> Gufw added the profile and sadly i dont know anything about gufw,
> execpt thats a gui on ufw.
> I dont know the modifications Gufw made on ufw, exacpt i noticed the profiles.
>
> Now martin, ok, great. You removed ufw ang gufw.
> The output looks good.
> All tables are cleaned up.
>
> Run : apt-get autoremove to remove left over packages from the install.
> If you plan to install gufw again, dont run the autoremove.
>
> Ok, backup the leftovers in /etc en /etc/gufw ( just rename the folders  to .old )
> Install ufw again.
> ufw allow 22/tcp
> ufw allow 139,445/tcp
> ufw allow 137,138/udp  ( if you network browsing, but not really needed. )
> ( add other ports if needed )
>

> ufw --force enable
>
> Thats a minimal setting that must work.
> Im moving a bit ahead in time now.
>
> While i totaly agree with Reindl, i dont suggest moving to plain iptables.
> If you switch now, drop iptables start learning nftables,
> but ufw can be handy, its just what you need.
>
> Nftables ( as of debian buster)
> https://wiki.debian.org/nftables works the same for mint.
> https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Main_Page more general.
...and while googling nftables, I discover this post about BPFilters
implemented in the linux 4.18 kernel as eBPF:

https://cilium.io/blog/2018/04/17/why-is-the-kernel-community-replacing-iptables/

Looks like there will be another successor.

Louis is absolutely correct about users not wanting to manipulate
iptables directly, and Tom Eastep has indicated that he doesn't intend
to move his project to nftables.  So, as a Shorewall user, I will be
tied to iptables for the foreseeable future.

Dale