[Samba] Samba and ufw

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 12 12:23:11 UTC 2019

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:01:04 +0100
Reindl Harald via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 12.02.19 um 09:02 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
> > Not everyone understand iptables that good Reindl
>
> i switched 1 years ago to Linux and wrote my first "iptables.sh" on
> day one which got improved over the years, so it#s not rocket science
> to learn

I am sure that there is a number missing from '1 years' and whilst you
wrote your script on day one, others cannot, even after a few years of
using Linux. It just isn't their thing ;-)

As for improving your script, I think you need to take another run at
it, 'if [ -t 1 ];' Most people will not even know what that means.

> > Ufw can be handy and its usable, now gufw thats the problem here.
> > Gufw added the profile and sadly i dont know anything about gufw,
> > execpt thats a gui on ufw.
> > I dont know the modifications Gufw made on ufw, exacpt i noticed
> > the profiles.
>
> yeah, UFW as abstraction-layer to iptables and because abstraction is
> cool put another layer on top of that with a GUI until the result is
> "nobody understands his own setup at all" and it needs dozens of
> emails trying to fix something trivial as a packet filter

Some people can edit config files directly, others cannot or do not want
to, why do you think Windows is so popular ?

Rowland