[Samba] Samba 4 Password Policies

Vladimir vgeraseev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:35:58 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,

I am relative new to samba 4, not so new to Samba, but I have a problem
with password policies.

So I set a password policy (Maximum password age) in RSAT for the Default
Domain Policy, but this policy was not applied to my domain, even after the
command gpupdate /all and after rebooting the samba server. (I am using
samba version 4.9.0)

So I discovered in the samba server that the command:
'samba-tool domain passwordsettings show'
was showing 45 day for the Maximum password age, and that was the value
active for my domain.

My questions are:

Can I use the GPO to set the password policies, or should I always use
samba-tools??

 Can I disable this behavior and let the GPO that I have set take the
control to these policies??

Thanks in advance,
Vladimir.