[Samba] Windows client still tries to connect to old AD after replacement

Piers Kittel piers at centrefordeaf.org.uk
Mon Feb 11 18:34:55 UTC 2019

Rowland,

> Did you click on the hyperlink that would have taken you here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs

I see... muddling through this, I seem to have somehow fixed this by
following the POSIX ACL instructions, but not completely fixed.  It has
got to the stage where if I create a new user (called testuser) and
assign their roaming profile & home folder, it works fine, I can
create/delete files, no more issues with log-in.

However, "new" users with existing folders carried forward from the old
server still have permission issues - existing users can access the root
of their profile & home folders, create folders and delete them, but
cannot access or modify existing folders.  So I presume the existing
folders have all the wrong permissions, and I need to propogate the
permissions from the user's root folder to the existing
folders/subfolders - what's the best way to do this?

Secondly, I've spotted that I also need to do folder redirections as
directed here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Windows_Profile_Folder_Redirections

I was able to do it for the testuser's "Documents" folder successfully,
however the other folders I tried to redirect (Music & Videos) didn't
have the "Redirect to the user's home directory" option - how do I sort
this out?

Finally, you're certainly a font of knowledge!  Many thanks for your time.

With kind regards - Piers