[Samba] Make nmbd bind to interfaces only

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 17:47:21 UTC 2019

Hi,
I would like to have nmbd only bind to the interfaces specified in the
interfaces line of smb.conf, in the same way that smbd does. When
researching this I did come across a mailing list thread saying there
was no use case, but I think I have one.

For many years ClearOS has been providing NT4 style domains and
unix-style shares. M$ upset the applecart last year with their 1803
update when joining NT4 domains got broken (it has since been fixed
since September '18, but I would assume the writing is on the wall for
NT4 domains).

To get round the issue I loaded samba into docker using the
https://github.com/Fmstrat/samba-domain container. I wanted to continue
to use the ClearOS samba configuration (v4.7.1 and soon to follow Centos
to 4.8.3) for its file-sharing as a domain member. One of the problems I
had was that if the native ClearOS instance of samba was started, the
docker instance would refuse to start because of a port clash. To get
round this for smbd was easy. All I had to do was bind to interfaces
only, but nmbd would not obey. For nmbd I had to set:

nmbd bind explicit broadcast = yes
socket address = 192.168.20.1

This is sort of OK if I have one LAN interface, but ClearOS is, among
other things, a router/firewall and as such can have multiple LAN and/or
VLAN interfaces. Socket address can only have one IP address so I can't
get all LAN interfaces to bind to it. Is there a way round this or does
it make a reasonable use case for a modification request.

Thanks,

Nick