[Samba] Winbind, cached logons and 'user persistency'...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 11 15:02:03 UTC 2019

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:28:57 +0100
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > It sounds to me that 'exim' is using LDAP for its lookups and is NOT
> > using any cache (winbind or otherwise). So when the LDAP source goes
> > away, so do your users.
>
> No, rowland; because:
>
> a) could be for 'aesthetic aliases' (marco.gaiarin@ that is the same
> as gaio@), but this is not the case.
>
> b) still i put at least TWO DC in ldap calls:
>
> 	ldap_default_servers =
> vdcpp2.ad.fvg.lnf.it::3268:vdcpp1.ad.fvg.lnf.it::3268
>
> ;-)

That actually proves my point, exim is doing ldap lookups (note you do
not really need the port number, all Samba DC's are global catalogues)

I also take it that each DC is using itself as its nameserver.

I think this is what is happening:

The DC is stopped, so the first nameserver isn't there any more.
Exim tries searching using the ldap lookup but cannot find the first
ldap server, after this times out, it tries to ask the dns server for
the second ldap server and this eventually times out, so it gives up.

Try changing the names in the 'ldap_default_servers' to ipaddresses.

Rowland