[Samba] AD Backup Best Practice

Tim Beale timbeale at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Feb 11 00:57:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the whole backup/restore process
is more complicated than it needs to be (especially when you're trying
to restore in a panic).

I've explained below the technical reasons why the backup/restore has
these current limitations. The short answer is:
- We spent a huge amount of time implementing the current backup/restore
tool. Unfortunately, we just ran out of time to make the backup nicer to
use. We figured further improvements could be made in future, as needed.
- We're primarily samba developers, rather than samba users, so there's
some guesses we made as to how it'd be used/what's acceptable.

I think updating the restore tool to avoid these annoyances is not that
hard. Part of the hard part is just testing it manually to make sure we
get things right. On that note, would any samba users out there be
willing to volunteer to help test this? i.e. clone a development git
branch, build the source, and try out the backup/restore tool?

>> you *must not* specify a DC that has previously existed

The restore process currently works like this:
1. The backed up database (which still contains all the old DCs) is
restored to disk.
2. The new DC is added to the database.
3. All the previous DCs are removed from the database.

Note that:
- #3 has to happen to ensure the restored domain doesn't try to
communicate with the old/failed domain (just in case you forgot to
switch off a DC).
- The DC added in #2 will always be a "new" DC (even if it has the same
hostname, it will have different a invocation-ID, etc).
- You can't have zero DCs in the database, i.e. the new DC needs to be
added before all the old ones are removed.

Currently you can't add a new DC with the same name because it already
exists in the database. Yes, we could avoid this problem by checking the
database, and removing the old DC first. It was just more work than we
had time to implement.

>> restore the domain database into a different targetdir,
>> and then use the '-s' option when running samba

A domain join allows you to overwrite the existing samba database, which
is the behaviour you're asking for here. We wanted to avoid that in the
restore case because:
- If the restore didn't work successfully, you've just obliterated your
database.
- We want to be really careful that remnants from the old database
didn't get left behind, so wanted the restore to always be done into an
empty directory.

The simple solution would be to rename /usr/local/samba/ to
/usr/local/samba-old/ first, then run the restore. The problem here is
the samba-tool program that you'll use to do the restore is also in the
directory you just renamed.

Probably a better solution would be for the restore tool to move the
sub-directories it's going to restore first. i.e. automatically move
/usr/local/samba/private to /usr/local/samba/private-old.

>> Are you saying that restoring to a "new DC" is as simple as changing the
>> hostname of "DC1" to "DC1_1"? DNS, GPO, smb.conf would all
>> automatically refer to the new hostname after the restore?

So, a restore should be similar in functionality to a 'domain join',
i.e. the hostname specified in the command should get setup in smb.conf
and DNS.

Most of the sysvol/GPO backup/restore was implemented by another
developer, so I don't know that much about it. Basically all the sysvol
files and their NTACLs should be preserved as part of the backup
process. So you shouldn't need to do anything to the restored DC. As you
rejoin the DCs after the restore, you'd need to rsync the sysvol
directory (same as you would if you joined a new DC).

>> Let's assume the DC is in a filesystem that allows snapshots, do I
>> assume correctly that stopping samba would not be required in that case?

If you're foregoing the backup tools and just taking backing up the raw
files on disk, then you'd need to stop samba. Otherwise, I think you're
at risk of corruption from not holding appropriate DB locks.

The offline backup (in 4.10) is essentially just taking a snapshot of
the files on disk. However, it does it in a way that's safe WRT DB
locks. Samba doesn't need to be stopped in this case.

Also note that part of the point of the online backup is to try to
protect you from latent/benign database corruptions that might exist on
disk. i.e. the raw database on disk has a corruption but samba is still
running OK, but then that corrupt object gets modified again and
everything dies. If your backup has the same latent corruption, then
restoring it won't be much help long-term.

Regards,
Tim