[Samba] Issues with using Samba share from Mac OS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 10 21:02:29 UTC 2019

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:14:03 +1300
Russell Fulton via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I am an old UNIX and Mac hand but new to samba.  My ultimate aim is
> to use a samba share with Time Machine. I have built an up to date
> version of samba (4.9.2)

Samba is now at 4.9.4 and you can get packages for 18.04 here:

http://apt.van-belle.nl/

>which has the necessary support for Time
> Machine and installed it on my linux system (ubuntu 18.04), and I
> have it sharing a volume which I can mount from my Mac. A good
> start ;)
>
> The problem is that I get permission errors whenever I try and create
> any files or directories on the share from the Mac:
>
> henry-crunn:timemachine rful011$ id
> uid=501(rful011) gid=20(staff) …

'501' is a low number for a user id on Linux, these usually start at
'1000'

> henry-crunn:timemachine rful011$ ls -l /Volumes/
> total 64
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root     wheel      1  3 Feb 10:43 Macintosh HD -> /
> drwx------  1 rful011  staff  16384  3 Feb 12:04 timemachine
>
> henry-crunn:timemachine rful011$ touch  /Volumes/timemachine/test
> touch: /Volumes/timemachine/test: Permission denied
>
> The permissions as shown by ls -l look fine but I still get
> permission denied on any operation that creates files on the volume.
>
> /etc/samba/smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> ………..

Any chance you can post just what '..... .' really is, that, from the
Linux and Samba point of view is the interesting part ;-)

> # Mac OS support
>   vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
>   fruit:aapl = yes
>

> [timemachine]
>   comment = Time Machine
>   path = /mnt/macmini-bb/timemachine
>   browseable = yes
>   writeable = yes
>   create mask = 0600
>   directory mask = 0700
>   spotlight = no
>   fruit:time machine = yes
>
> Should the vfs object be in global or share section?

Either, if it is in [global], it affects everything, if it is in a
share, it just affects that share.

Rowland