[Samba] AD Backup Best Practice

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Sun Feb 10 18:33:17 UTC 2019

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 at 17:42, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> The problem is that a Samba AD DC is constantly in flux, that is, it
> changes constantly, if your 'snapshot' can guarantee it is correct,
> then I see no problem, but you would only really know when you tried
> to restore it.
>
> >With regards to information between 2 backups being lost, how
> > is that different with other backup strategies, for example using
> > samba-tool online backup?
>
> That is the problem with any AD DC backup method, the backups can
> quickly become out of date.
>

> You keep saying that but I can't quite wrap my head around it. How exactly
is the DC constantly in flux? Say I set up my small AD, one DC, 10 users,
10 computers, internal DNS and some GPOs and I'm not touching any of that
anymore after the initial setup. Yes, users create their files, set
permissions etc but that's all done on the filesystem of the member server
and not in the AD itself, right? So what will have changed a week later on
the DC?

Viktor