[Samba] Unable to join to a SAMBA4 domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 6 19:52:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 16:18:29 -0300
Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:

> El mar., 5 feb. 2019 a las 17:52, Rowland Penny via samba (<
> samba at lists.samba.org>) escribió:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 17:27:08 -0300
> > Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Rowland,
> > >
> > > Centos files:
> > >
> > > /etc/hostname
> > > tiny-fishwife.example.com
> >
> > It should be just the short hostname 'tiny-fishwife'
> > >
> > > /etc/hosts
> > > 127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
> >
> > Where does this mythical 'localdomain' come from ?
> > That was a rhetorical question, it should just be:
> >

> Really I don't know,  many distros uses by default

Yes, the ones that wear red hats ;-)

> > > /etc/krb5.conf
> > > includedir /etc/krb5.conf.d/
> > > includedir /var/lib/sss/pubconf/krb5.include.d/
> >
> > The above two lines are probably a large part of your problem,
> > krb5.conf needs only to be this:
> >
> > [libdefaults]
> >     default_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
> >     dns_lookup_kdc = true
> >     dns_lookup_realm = false
> >
> > > smb.conf
> > > [global]
> > > workgroup = EXAMPLE.COM
> > > server string = NethServer 7.6.1810 final (Samba %v)
> > > security = ADS
> > > realm = EXAMPLE.COM
> > > kerberos method = secrets and keytab
> > > netbios name = TINY-FISHWIFE
> >
> > Ah, you seem to be planning on using sssd, we do not support sssd.
> >

> Good to know it. What should we use instead? winbind?

Yes, Samba is designed to use winbind and actually expects it.

> In connection with /etc/hostname I agree with you but some distros
> use the fqdn in /etc/hostname and also we have tools that :-/

The computer has a hostname, it also has a domain name, it also a fully
qualified domain name which is made up of the 'hostname' joined to the
domain name. If 'hostname' contains the fqdn, it is possible that the
fqdn may be hostname.example.com.example.com

The 'some distros' you refer to are probably the red-hat ones, why they
set /etc/hostname to the fqdn, I do not know, but whenever I have set
up Samba on Centos, I always have to remove the domain
from /etc/hostname

Rowland