[Samba] unix_primary_group = yes don t work

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 6 14:39:24 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 13:25:08 +0100
Christian Daré via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> thanks for the answer, Louis.
> i m talking about the userhome dir.
> I ve already read https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders
> and i m applying the posix acls to my share.
> As the users's home is shared between windows and linux, i d rather
> use the posix acls than the windows ones.
>
> Beside the homedir of my users have a form like /home/ first letter
> of name /login ( ex : /home/d/dare ) and i cant change that, this is
> why i use the [home] share , it s the simplier solution for me.
>
> Is it mandatory to use the windows acls to have the functionnality i
> m looking for ?

Been doing some testing on this, if a user connects via ssh to a Unix
domain member that is set up to use the users Unix group as its primary
group and creates a file, I get this:

root at testsmb:~# ls -la /home/giduser/test.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 giduser unixgroup 0 Feb  6 14:31 /home/giduser/test.txt

However, if the user connects via SMB to a share and creates a file, I
get this:

root at testsmb:~# ls -la /home/data/test.txt
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 giduser domain users 0 Feb  6 13:48 /home/data/test.txt

It looks like the Samba tools ignore 'idmap config SAMDOM :
unix_primary_group = yes'

Rowland