[Samba] hostname is missing in the output from "smbstatus -b"

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:57:38 UTC 2019

> Meike Stone via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello Rowland,
> > thanks for answering so fast.

> > > This may be an artefact of turning off NTLMv1,
> > So there is nowedays no possibility to track, from witch
> > client name the connection comes (behind a NAT Gateway)?
>
> Samba uses dns nowadays.

But if you are behind a NAT-Gateway, you lose ... The DNS is worthless
in this situation,
all Clients comes from one IP and the Network behind that Gateway is unknown ...

> > > try adding 'ntlm auth =
> > > yes' to your smb.conf and restarting Samba. If this cures your
> > > problem, then you have to decide if you can run with an insecure
> > > set up.
> >
> > This option is turned on already.
> > I know, this is a total ugly, insecure setup, but we have to run a
> > single samba for
> > W2k3 Terminal Servers and Windows XP-Clients (max protocol = NT1 ntlm
> > auth = yes, backend ldap).
>
> Well, seeing as W2k3, XP and Samba 4.6.x are all EOL, you might as well

You are right  ...
Btw: Samba 4.6 is *the* version, that SuSE delivers with the current
Enterprise Distribution SLES12 SP4

Kindly regards and thanks
Meike