[Samba] Windows client still tries to connect to old AD after replacement

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 4 12:58:03 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 12:19:54 +0000
Piers Kittel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Sigh, hopefully 3rd time lucky!
>
> Thank you Rowland and Louis,
>  > >
>  > > I do not use roaming profiles, but I seem to remember that
>  > > they are are
>  > > liberally plastered with SID-RID's. It is the SID that
>  > > identifies the domain, so it is this that is probably causing
>  > > your computers looking for the old DC.
>  > >
>  > > Rowland
>  > >
>  >
>  > Yes, correct, i found :
>  > https://sourceforge.net/projects/reprofiler/
>  >
>  > I've not tried this, but this could help.
>  > You need to fix all profiles.
>  >
>  > Greetz,
>  >
>  > Louis
> Tried this tool as domain administrator on my own domain profile,
> seemed to work, and it reported success, however when I logged back
> in my own domain profile, it still had an error trying to connect to
> the old AD. Any other ideas?
> Thank you so much for your help!
> With kind regards - Piers

You are going to have to give us more info ;-)

I know you posted this:

Old AD:
Name - ad.domain.intranet
IP - 192.168.0.17

New AD:
Name - domain-ad.domain.intranet
IP - 192.168.0.11

What is the 'Old AD' ?
OS ?
Samba version ?

What is the 'New AD' ?
OS ?
Samba version ?

I see that they are both subdomains of the 'domain.intranet' dns
domain, but have you used a new workgroup name for the new AD domain ?
Have your clients left the old domain and joined the new domain ?

Can you post the following files from the Samba AD DC(s):

/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/krb5.conf