[Samba] Failed to find [principal](kvno 4) in keytab MEMORY:cifs_srv_keytab (arcfour-hmac-md5)]

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 17:06:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 9:52 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 18/12/2019 14:34, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 9:13 AM Rowland penny via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Problem is, and as I said, Samba  4.3.x is EOL as far as Samba is
> >     concerned and if you have found a bug in it, it is very, very
> >     unlikely
> >     to get fixed, unless it is still in a later, supported, Samba
> >     version.
> >

> > Of course; I wouldn't expect any more patches for 4.3.x. I've dug
> > through a lot of the code and most of it is identical to latest
> > master. So to word it another way: I'm trying to see if this is a
> > known bug that has been fixed since 4.3.x, or if this instance is
> > highlighting a new unknown bug that could still exist in master.
> >
> > I understand your role on the list is a first line of response; keeper
> > of the gates sort of thing. Is there a more appropriate channel where
> > I can get some input from developers familiar with this part of the code?
>
> Yes and I am try to point you in the same direction that the other Samba
> team members will, upgrade and see if the 'bug' is still there. If it
> is, then we will need log level 10 output etc and a bug report. Your
> 'bug' may have been fixed since 4.3.x and if it has been then your
> problem will be gone, if it hasn't, then it will never get fixed in
> 4.3.x, but it should be in supported versions.
>
> Rowland

I updated to FreeNAS 11.1u7 which shows samba at "Version
4.7.0-GIT-ea139bffada-FreeNAS".

The issue persists just as it did on the old version.

Can anyone answer my questions about the in-memory keytab? How can two
clients both use the same service principal name (and kvno) but one can't
be found in the keytab?

Thanks,
Jonathon