[Samba] Read-only permissions - incorrect user mapping?

Steven Foucault telesteven90 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 18:46:57 UTC 2019

I have a problem regarding permissions of a SMB share.
I created a share for my user “steven” which has correct unix permissions (I have read/write access to this folder when I log in to the server via “steven”)

drwxr-xr-x   steven root   share

When I export this share with no “force user” entry in smb.conf I can access the share only read only.
When I use “force user = steven” it’s the same.
When I use “force user = root” I have read write access to this share.

It looks like the samba user “steven” (which exists) is not mapped to the correct unix user. I thought this is the default behaviour.

pdbedit -L
steven:1000:steven

id steven
uid=1000(steven) gid=1000(steven) groups=1000(steven)

When I add - chmod o+w share - write permissions for “others” I can access share read/write via samba.
How can I make samba connect the samba user “steven” to the system user “steven”?

BTW: There’s no SELinux enabled.

Thanks!
Steven

—