[Samba] Hosted printer drivers can not be used

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Thu Dec 19 11:15:15 UTC 2019

Mandi! L.P.H. van Belle via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> You need a few things more to make this work.

We'll see...

> Expand the following branch in the Group Policy editor:
> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings
> -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options,
> where you need to find the policy Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers.
> Disable this policy.

But policy editor say me that is disabled by default on workstation...

> Allow user to install the printer drivers via GPO.
> Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these device setup classes in the section :
> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation.
> Enable this policy, allow non-sysadmins to install drivers ( i dont know that its states in IT or English ).
> ( and today to lazy to look it up.. But you see and will find what i mean. )
>
> You need these also :
> Class = Printer {4658ee7e-f050-11d1-b6bd-00c04fa372a7}
> Class = PNPPrinters {4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
>
> When above is done, your at the point your now are. ( users can not connect/install the driver ) .
> Which is correct ..  ;-)

But i don't need to have users install all the print drivers, only the
driver in domain servers...

> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Printers
> Enable the Point and print restrictions.
>
> set : do not show warning or elevation prompt when installing drivers for a new connection and when updating drivers for an existing connection
>
> And you also must assign trusted server in FQDN in the "point and print trusted servers"
> Disable only allow Point and Print within own forest.

Just done. These are standard settings i've just set in previous 'NT
mode' domains.

Anyway: drivers installation for users works as expected with other
drivers (eg, HP Laserjets PCL6) but does not work for KM drivers.

> Yes, then it always works, correct, so if you setup a new pc,
> you most probley always login at least once with an admin users.
> Create one gpo that installes all needed printers and while setting up a new pc.
> Drivers install in the back ground for you.

I prefere install printers by users, and if drivers have trouble, use
some other sort of things (eg, SCM WPKG) to install driver locally.