[Samba] Hosted printer drivers can not be used

Christian Haase c.haase at ifu.com
Tue Dec 17 13:15:24 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have problems setting up the printer drivers using samba. I use a
fresh setup of Samba Version 4.11.4-SerNet-Debian-6.buster and followed

 * https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member
 * https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Print_Server
 * .../Setting_up_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients

Cups is the default debian setup with only one printer added via lpd.
The printer model is KONICA MINOLTA C364e and the driver is KONICA
MINOLTA C364SeriesPCL version 5.3.0.500; Type 3 - User mode.

At the end of Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Print_Server I was able to install
the printer on a Win 10 client using double click and manual driver
selection and print a test page.

After the step "Assigning a Driver to a Printer" on
Setting_up_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients (Tried
both print management and rpcclient) I got the following situation.

(All messages translated from german)

When opening the printer properties from print management I get the popup

[Window Title]
Printer Properties

[Main Instruction]
The "KONICA MINOLTA C364SeriesPCL" printer driver is not installed on
this computer. Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you
install the printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?

[Yes] [No]

When pressing yes, the Add Printer Driver Wizard opens. I follow the
wizard to install exactly the same driver like the one I added to
print$. Then the properties open, but without the driver additions. When
I reopen the properties, the popup appears again.

When trying to print the windows test page, this message pops up:

[Window Title]
Printer Properties

[Main Instruction]
Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print
troubleshooter for assistance?

The procedure number is out of range.

[Yes] [No]

In the clients event log, this entry is logged:
Windows could not load print processor KOAYTJ_P because EnumDatatypes
failed. Error code 126. Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRTPROCS\x64\KOAYTJ_P.DLL. Please obtain and
install a new version of the driver from the manufacturer (if
available), or choose an alternate driver that works with this print device

I noticed, that on my Windows 2008 R2 reference system, in the printer
management drivers list, the drivers print processor is set to KOAYTJ_P,
on samba it is winprint. Not sure if related, the fax driver for the
printer uses winprint on the reference system and has the same behaviour
on samba.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

# find /srv/samba/printers
/srv/samba/printers
/srv/samba/printers/x64
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_J.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_W.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.KPD
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.mg
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_F.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_C.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_J.ini
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_A.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.yg
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.md
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_B.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.kg
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_C.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.kd
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_Y.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_O.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_G.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_N.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_U.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_F.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_M.KPD
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.cd
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_E.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.yd
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOBDrvAPIW64.exe
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_B.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_S.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_G.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_T.dll
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.cg
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_D.KPD
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_D.KMP
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_M.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_W.EXE
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.yud
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.kud
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOBDrvAPIIF.dll
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.mud
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_D.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_Q.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_P.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_R.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_X.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_K.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.CHM
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.cud
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_F.fl
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOBDrvAPIIF32.dll
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_E.DLL
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ_C.KPD
/srv/samba/printers/x64/3/KOAYTJ__.UNF

smb.conf:
[global]
	security = ADS
	realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM (redacted)
	workgroup = SAMDOM (redacted)

	idmap config * : backend = tdb
	idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

	winbind refresh tickets = Yes
	vfs objects = acl_xattr
	map acl inherit = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes
	acl_xattr: default acl style = windows

	winbind use default domain = yes

	winbind enum users = yes
	winbind enum groups = yes

	username map = /etc/samba/user.map

	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	log level = 6

	rpc_server:spoolss = external
	rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork
	spoolss: architecture = Windows x64

	printing = CUPS
	printcap name = cups
	load printers = yes
	#enumports command = /etc/samba/printerports.sh
	cups options = "raw media=a4"

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = yes
	read only = no
	acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /srv/samba/printers

--
ifu Hamburg - Member of iPoint Group
"Productivity meets Sustainability"

ifu Institut für Umweltinformatik Hamburg GmbH
Max-Brauer-Allee 50 - 22765 Hamburg - Germany
fon: +49 40 480009-0 - fax: +49 40 480009-22 - email: info at ifu.com

Managing Director: Jan Hedemann - Commercial Register: Hamburg, HRB 52629
www.ifu.com - www.umberto.de - www.e-sankey.com

In der Zeit vom 23.12.2019 bis einschließlich 03.01.2020 bleibt das
ifu Hamburg geschlossen. Ein Notdienst ist eingerichtet.
Alle Mitarbeiter des ifu wünschen Ihnen eine frohe Weihnachtszeit!

In the period from 23rd of December 2019 until the 3rd of January 2020
ifu Hamburg will remain closed. An emergency service has been set up.
All ifu employees wish you a merry christmas time!