[Samba] Samba4 - DNS update from clients

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 13 08:34:26 UTC 2019

On 13/12/2019 07:28, Julien TEHERY via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have actually a samba4 domain with linux and windows workstations.
>
> When I join them to the domain, a DNS record is successfully created
> but when a machine get a new/different IP address, DNS record is not
> updated.
>

> We have an external (debian) iscp-dhcp server. Is it possible to
> update samba4's bind zone from this DHCP ?

Possibly, have you seen this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

That is designed to be run on a Samba DC, but perhaps it can be altered
to be run elsewhere.

If it does work, you will have to stop your Windows clients from trying
to update their own records.

Rowland