[Samba] unix_primary_group=yes together with vfs objects=acl_xattr not working

Klaus Jaensch klausj at phonetik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Dec 10 15:56:30 UTC 2019

Am 10.12.19 um 15:08 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
> On 10/12/2019 13:29, Klaus Jaensch via samba wrote:
>> Hi Rowland,

>>> Here is my test smb.conf
>>
>> [global]
>>   security = ads
>>   realm = SAMDOM
>>   workgroup = IPS
>>   idmap config *:backend =tdb
>>   idmap config *:range = 5000000-6000000
>>   idmap config IPS:backend = ad
>>   idmap config IPS:schema_mode = rfc2307
>>   idmap config IPS:range = 100-999999
>
> Why are you using '100' for the range start number ?

I set the Unix attribute GID of the AD group 'Domain Users' to 100.

The idea was to map the AD 'Domain Users' group to default UNIX group
'users' GID 100.

I guess that was not a good idea?

> It looks like it is picking up the local Unix group 'users' which has
> the GID 100

Thanks Rowland, that was the problem! Changed the range to 10000-999999
and it works now.

But shouldn't the Primary Group GID entry of the user in AD have
precedence over the 'Domain Users' membership?

>> idmap config IPS:unix_nss_info = yes
>>   idmap config IPS:default = yes
> I don't know where you got that line from, it doesn't exist
>> idmap config IPS:unix_primary_group = yes
>>   # Use settings from AD for login shell and home directory
>>   winbind nss info = rfc2307
> That line is only used if you are using Samba < 4.8.0
>> winbind enum users = yes
>>   winbind enum groups = yes
> You should turn the two lines above off, they are not needed and can
> slow things down.
>> winbind cache time = 10
>>   winbind use default domain = yes
>>   winbind rpc only = yes
> NOOOOOOOOOO, do not set the line above
OK, the line was only in the test server config.
>> kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>>   client use spnego = yes
>>   client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>>   ntlm auth = no
>>   encrypt passwords = yes
> The four lines above are defaults and as such are not required.
>> restrict anonymous = 2
>>   domain master = no
>>   local master = no
>>   preferred master = no
>>   os level = 0
>>   server min protocol = SMB2
>>   vfs objects = acl_xattr
>>   map acl inherit = yes
>>   store dos attributes = yes
>>   access based share enum = yes
>>   server signing = mandatory
>>   smb encrypt = desired
>>
>> [test_share]
>>        path= /data/test_share
>>        read only = No
>>        create mask = 0660
>>        directory mask = 0770
>>        valid users =test_user
>>
>> I use the Windows Server AD as backend and set the GID in the
>> ActiveDirectory UNIX-Attributes of the user.
>>
>> On the Linux Samba server I have a group with this GID.
>
> Yes, it is local Unix group:
>
> cat /etc/group | grep 100
> users:x:100:
>

>> The name of this group shows up in the smbstatus output.
>>
>> New files are created with this GID, but only if vfs objects =
>> acl_xattr is commented out.
>>

>> We access the file servers from Windows clients via SMB and from
>> Linux clients via NFS. I want to use private user groups on Ubuntu to
>> change the umask to 002 on login automatically on Ubuntu (Explained
>> in /etc/login.defs).
> Just use SMB for everything. If you only had Linux clients, then you
> could use NFS and ignore Samba, but I wouldn't try to use the same
> files from NFS and Windows.

We already do that for years now and it works fine. We use NFS mounted
Homes and Autofs. I don't know if that would be possible to replace with
SMB.

Thank you for your very good advice to cleanup my smb.conf.

Klaus

> Rowland

Klaus Jaensch
Muenchen
Germany

Institut fuer Phonetik und Sprachverarbeitung
Schellingstr.3/II
Room 223 VG
80799 München

Phone (Work): +49-(0)89-2180-2806