[Samba] Upgrading from Debian Stretch to Buster, Van Belle package

Lmloge lmloge at orange.fr
Wed Dec 4 09:48:55 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am preparing for upgrading from Debian Stretch to Buster.
I am using Louis Van Belle's Samba packages.

My current Samba version is:
# smbstatus --version
Version 4.7.7-Debian

I can see that the Samba version that will be installed, when I upgrade
from Stretch to Buster, will be the 4.11 since this is the current
stable release...

I would like to know if there are major changes between those two versions.
(This is because in the past, I had to face the passage from Samba3 to
Samba4 without having been prepared to it and my system was broken down
for several weeks before I could set up, thanks to Rowland Penny, a
proper system.)

Is it this line that I will have to put in
"/etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list":
deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian buster-samba411 main contrib non-free
Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
--