[Samba] vfs_recycle disables permissions inheritance on AD DC shares

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Mon Dec 2 16:34:01 UTC 2019

On 12/2/19 10:24 AM, Sebastian Arcus via samba wrote:

> On 02/12/19 15:44, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> On 02/12/2019 15:32, Sebastian Arcus via samba wrote:
snippity

>> No, I am saying that you have turned off the default vfs objects by
>> just specifying one.
>>
>> You should have 'vfs objects = dfs_samba4 acl_xattr recycle'
>
> Thank you very much for this - now it is working. This lack of
> permissions inheritance issue has been plaguing me for months - it is
> very useful to finally find what has been causing it. Would it be a good
> idea to add the information above somewhere in the wiki, in case others
> will face the same issue at some point?
>
> Again, thank you for the quick replies.

The way I've handled this on software I've written (not samba) is to
support the concept of +feature and -feature.  That is "add to
defaults", "subtract from defaults".

If such a thing were supported, then:

vfs objects = +recycle

would not have nuked the default options.

Obviously things get tricky when using something like testparm to clean
up and write out a clean smb.conf.  Likely you'd just explode things
out, which might not be what you'd want, but might be the only way to
make this realistic.

Just ideas...