[Samba] vfs_recycle disables permissions inheritance on AD DC shares

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 14:28:07 UTC 2019

Apologies if this is a documented feature and I missed it - I've been
googling and reading through the docs but haven't spotted any mention
anywhere. Is the vfs_recycle feature officially being supported with
Samba in AD mode? I have a few AD DC's with file shares on them - and
have been struggling with file permissions not being inherited on the
file shares. I have finally narrowed it down to the fact that if I
enable the vfs_recycle module on the shares, this disables permission
inheritance on the respective share. Could anybody confirm this please -
or am I doing something wrong?

I am on Samba 4.10.8 and 4.9.4, Slackware 64, as mentioned above all
servers are AD DC's, the file system is EXT4, and here is my smb.conf:

[global]
   netbios name = MY-SERVER-NAME
   realm = MYDOMAIN.LAN
   server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
   ntlm auth = yes
   time server = yes

[netlogon]
   path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mydomain.lan/scripts
   read only = No

[sysvol]
    path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
    read only = No

[shared_files]
   path = /srv/samba/shared_files
   read only = No

   vfs objects = recycle
   recycle:repository = Recycle.Bin
   recycle:directory_mode = 0770
   recycle:subdir_mode = 0770
   recycle:exclude =
*.tmp,*.temp,*.o,*.obj,~$*,*.~??,~*.*,*.TMP,*.TEMP,lock.*,.~lock.*,LOCK.*,*.lock,*.~lock,*.LNK,*.lnk,*.ldb,*-
  journal
   recycle:versions = Yes
   recycle:touch_mtime = Yes
   recycle:keeptree = No