[Samba] Debian Stretch - > buster: samba packages

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 2 11:32:58 UTC 2019

On 02/12/2019 11:28, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Am 02.12.19 um 11:58 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
>> In that case.
>>
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get remove samba winbind --autoremove
>> apt-get dist-upgrade --autoremove
>>
>> apt-get install samba winbind libnss-winbind libpam-winbind tdb-tools
>> apt-get dist-upgrade --autoremove --purge
>>
>> As long as you dont use --purge, everything of samba will stay on the system and you able to install the buster version.
> famous words ;-)
>
> I run another backup and now and try to decide if to try that now or in
> the evening.

 From 'man apt-get' :

        remove
            remove is identical to install except that packages are
removed instead of installed. Note that removing a package leaves its
configuration files on the system. If a plus sign is appended to the
package name (with no
            intervening space), the identified package will be installed
instead of removed.

        purge
            purge is identical to remove except that packages are
removed and purged (any configuration files are deleted too).

 From my experience, it is true, only the binaries etc are removed, YMMV
of course, but I doubt it ;-)

Rowland