[Samba] backup AD content

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 30 09:01:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-08-30 at 10:56 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba
wrote:
> I happily and trustfully use Louis' backup-script from
>
> https://github.com/thctlo/samba4
>
> to dump AD content via cronjob.
>
> Is it necessary/recommended to do that on *each* samba DC? Is there
> something server-specific in the dump(s) or is it enough to do that
> once
> per domain?

I'm very sorry to advise that this script is not race-free in the
locking done on the AD databases, which is why we have written the
'samba-tool domain backup offline' tool which holds the correct locks.

You should only need to back up the domain on one DC as long as you are
confident the DC is correctly synchronised, including sysvol.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org