[Samba] Deprecation of NONE DNS backend

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 28 19:10:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-08-28 at 11:49 -0700, Andy Strohman via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm curious about this remark on the wiki[1] :
> "do NOT use NONE as the DNS backend, it is not supported and will be
> removed in a future Samba version."
>
>   Why is this being removed?
>
>   I would prefer to manually add the records that would be generated by
> BIND9_FLATFILE to my domain's zone file.  We have automation that controls
> records in the domain's zone file that I would prefer to keep as is if
> possible.

Honestly, because we have two many 'supported' modes of operation
already.

We will likely keep NONE around for the join as it helps work around
some of these domain join issues (but someone still has to pull in the
partition manually later and get the records for the DC going).

But the work we do to set up DNS in the domain during the join by
default needs in-directory DNS, and that in turn is what makes a Samba
domain join much more robust than a Windows AD join, we don't want to
present the awful options as equal to the THINGS THAT WILL JUST WORK.

We know that there are some, for whom Samba is that great flexible tool
that can be carefully tuned into a very specific place, that also lead
Samba's file server to have so many combinations it is incredibly
difficult to maintain and is overwhelming for many users (see eg that
user who asked for 'something simpler' recently.

We are not good as removing things, but the first step is those
warnings, eg in the wiki and 4.11 release notes.  I'm still trying to
get rid of the code to support an abandoned OpenLDAP backend that I
stopped working on a decade ago!  (this is more complex, there is a
proposal to revive, but I'm making a rhetorical point)

I trust this clarifies.  It isn't personal, just trade-offs.

Andrew Bartlett