[Samba] winbind seems to hang when the DC goes down instead of switching to the other available DC

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Tue Aug 27 16:31:31 UTC 2019

Mandi! L.P.H. van Belle via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Well, this is a hard one to answer for me.
> I'll give it a try. ;-)

....out of my workhour, in my last workday. ;-)

Sorry for the late answer.

> Yes, that will work but done wrong, you might create a circular reference.
> Using glue or not, this depends also on how you setup your resolving.
> But still, nothing wrong in using glue records.

Ok. I know perfectly 'pains and pleasures' of DNS... ;-)

> Yes, .. And No, because again, it depends on how you setup your dns resolving.

No, i'm speaking strictly to 'member servers', clarly also i've some
server not in domain, that have a different DNS setup.

For DM, a forward zone like this:

	; for a SITEA DM server
	;
	zone "your.dnsdomain.tld" {
		type forward;
		forwarders { IP_DC1_SITEA; IP_DC2_SITEA; };
		; NO 'forward only;' !!!
	};

seems pretty good to me: the DM 'prefere' the DC in their site, but,
because there's no 'forward only;', still are able to resolve from
dother DC (if, clearly there's one alive and the dns in correctly
configured ;).

> > Just i'm here, there's some way to tackle 'roundrobin/handoff'
> > parameters between forwarders {} listed server, more or less like what
> > you suggest for /etc/resolv.conf?
> Think your looking for this.
> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#rrset-order

Yes, but seems related to zone data, not to forwarders. But i've found:

	https://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking_2ndEd/dns/ch10_05.htm

(look at 'Forwarder Selection' at the bottom); seems that 'round-robin'
is builtin by Bind 8.2.3... goood...