[Samba] Upgrading samba and OS - can I rejoin ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 26 21:47:32 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 13:43 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai Andrew,
>
> I just tested this on 4.10.7
> Which resulted in :
>
> ERROR(<class 'samba.join.DCJoinException'>): uncaught exception - Can't join,
> error: Not removing account DC1$ which looks like a Samba DC account matching the password we already have.
> To override, remove secrets.ldb and secrets.tdb
>
> The wiki does not say we have to remove the old the secrets.
>
> Report it as bug? Or add the info on the wiki to remove the secrets files?

In this case you have a fully operable account in the domain, it isn't
a reinstall on a new OS with the same hostname.  This is a safety
measure.

Yes, documenting that in the wiki, explaining what it does, why and how
to work around it (eg the instructions in the exception) would be a
good idea.

In the long term, we would prefer to preserve the accounts and DC state
(due to that invocationID issue I mentioned), but this requires finding
someone to take up or sponsor that work.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/