[Samba] Upgrading samba and OS - can I rejoin ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 26 21:32:10 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 23:10 +0200, gizmo via samba wrote:
> Ok, I understood, I should join with a new name.
> But what's the difference between my plans and the docu "Rejoining the upgraded DC" ?
> There is nothing mentioned, that a new name is necessary.
> Is it because I install a new OS and so I start from scratch ?

A new name is not necessary, which is why this requirement is not
documented.

The page https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Upgrading_a_Samba_AD_DC was
written by Garming and Tim as Samba AD DC developers because this
information was not clear in the past.  At Catalyst we regularly get
our commercial clients asking about the right way to upgrade so Tim and
Garming put some time into documenting it for everyone.

I'm sorry you get conflicting information on this list, we don't have a
secret back-room where we coordinate these replies, and each team
member comes with different background and experiences  (eg coding, day
to day administration and user support).

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/