[Samba] Upgrading samba and OS - can I rejoin ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 26 05:06:32 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 06:54 +0200, gizmo via samba wrote:
> And (re)joining is not recommended ?

We do recommend it:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Upgrading_a_Samba_AD_DC

> There are so many services and computers connected to the samba server, which are not in my hand.
> Means after I upgraded all our 5 ADs I would have to inform many people about the new name and IP.

The identifier that Rowland is worried about in terms of replication
behaviour is actually the invocationID, and we do not re-use that.
This is actually a problem if this kind of re-join is done
often/automated, as objects in AD keep a list of every DC that every
existed on them!

But for practical, humans scale operations it is fine.  We delete all
the other objects involved (server objects, DC objects etc).  If
something isn't being cleaned up then that's a bug, a rejoin with the
same name is normal in Samba.

I trust this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett

--