[Samba] Restrict who can query my DNS

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 17:39:24 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 1:30 PM Leonardo Yanes Batista via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone, could you help me find a solution to restrict who can check my DNS within my domain?
>
> I have a domain controller with SAMBA4 and as DNS backend I use BIND9.
>
> I would like to be able to define who are the IPs that I want to allow to consult my DNS. I tried the following but I failed to get it
> /etc/bind/named.conf.options
> options {
> allow-query {
> localhost;
> };
> }
>
> In essence, this should allow the domain controller itself to be the only one that has permission to query itself, but when I try to query from a PC in my domain, the DNS keeps responding to my queries. How could I avoid this?

      The lazy solution is to block port 53 TCP/UDP. Besides that,
could you have somewhere down your config files that is overruling the
allow-query{}? I also wonder if you add the IP of said server, as
IP/32; in the allow-query{}; list it will make bind happy. You know,
just in case it is being paperclip helpful.