[Samba] Serverinfo Error

Robert A Wooldridge bob.wooldridge at edm-inc.com
Wed Aug 21 19:30:31 UTC 2019

On 08/21/2019 02:21 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's a better approach to this?  I only have
> around 30 accounts.  Is there any way that I can just create the same
> domain from scratch with a fresh Samba machine and get rid of the old
> DCs completely?  Would all the workstations be able to join the new
> domain even though it would have the same name?
>
> Time for a bit of info here, the thing that really identifies an AD
> domain is the SID, this is in the format
> 'S-1-5-21-1111111111-2222222222-3333333333'. You could have two
> domains with the same name, but with different SIDs (note that I not
> saying you should do this, there would still be confusion).
>
> What I am trying to say is, you could reuse your existing domain name
> for a new one, but you would need to (ideally) remove your
> workstations from the existing domain, turn off the windows DC and
> then start the Samba DC. You would then need to join your workstations
> to the new domain. You will also need to create any required users and
> groups in your new domain.
Yes, I don't see this as being too difficult.  And I could start out
with the most recent supported security level, that's what I really want
and need.  As well as getting off the Windoze OS and hardware game.

> This is guaranteed to work, the other option of trying to fix your
> existing domain isn't, it probably will, but will take more time and
> effort.
Yes, this seems like a better way to go.  So I just need to shut down my
Server 2003 DC (and any samba machines) and then just create the new
domain.  Or should I make sure to exit each workstation from the domain
first?

--
Bob Wooldridge
EDM Incorporated