[Samba] Serverinfo Error

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 21 19:21:14 UTC 2019

On 21/08/2019 19:55, Robert A Wooldridge via samba wrote:
> On 08/21/2019 12:31 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> Though it appears that errors have occurred, everything has worked to
>> here.
>>
>>> Adding 1 remote DNS records for ATHENA2.edm-inc.com
>>> Adding DNS A record ATHENA2.edm-inc.com for IPv4 IP: 10.10.1.15
>>> Join failed - cleaning up
>>
>> It is failing whilst trying to add the new DCs A record and anything
>> from here onwards can be ignored, it has nothing to do with the error.
>>
>> This is where you got to last time, so you know what to do to get the
>> join to finish.
> You mean comment out the python stuff?  I can't seem to find that
> message.  Can you give it to me again?
I can if I have to ;-)

>> Once you do get the join to finish, we need to identify what dns
>> records you are missing and manually create them.
> I'm wondering if there's a better approach to this?  I only have
> around 30 accounts.  Is there any way that I can just create the same
> domain from scratch with a fresh Samba machine and get rid of the old
> DCs completely?  Would all the workstations be able to join the new
> domain even though it would have the same name?

Time for a bit of info here, the thing that really identifies an AD
domain is the SID, this is in the format
'S-1-5-21-1111111111-2222222222-3333333333'. You could have two domains
with the same name, but with different SIDs (note that I not saying you
should do this, there would still be confusion).

What I am trying to say is, you could reuse your existing domain name
for a new one, but you would need to (ideally) remove your workstations
from the existing domain, turn off the windows DC and then start the
Samba DC. You would then need to join your workstations to the new
domain. You will also need to create any required users and groups in
your new domain.

This is guaranteed to work, the other option of trying to fix your
existing domain isn't, it probably will, but will take more time and effort.

Rowland