[Samba] winbind on DC : how use gidNumber instead of primaryGroupID as user's primary group

Prunk Dump prunkdump at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:13:00 UTC 2019

Le lun. 19 août 2019 à 11:01, L.P.H. van Belle via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> a écrit :

> Hai,
>
> Fist of all, i must say it not very wise to have you NFS server on the AD-DC.
>
> I do about the same but my NFS server is on a member.
>
> Have you configured /etc/nsswitch.conf ?
> If not do that.
>
> If you run : id username
> I see : uid=10002(NTDOM\username) gid=10000(NTDOM\domain users) groups=10000(NTDOM\domain users)
> So my GID and Primary group id are the same.

This is a little bit off-thread but why it is not safe to run an NFSv4
server on a DC ? I know that with a samba file server you have some
restrictions like using only encrypted communication.

But the NFS services are mostly independent. Is this not safe only
because samba cannot give correct uid/gid mapping on DC ? And is this
case, is there any plan to make samba usable in this configuration ?

The fact that samba as DC cannot be used as file server is a strange
limitation no ? In the Windows server you don't have this problem. Is
there some plan to make this possible ?

I don't understand why this is so complicated. Samba use this winbind
"primaryGroupID" gid mapping for the rights on the SYSVOL share ?

You're right. But sometimes I use some special shares where users from
multiple groups can create files. And I only want that users from the
same group can see the content of the file each other.

I use the gid like on a classic Linux station folder.