[Samba] network transplant of DC?

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Sun Aug 18 14:56:32 UTC 2019

I installed a new DC in my local network with the intent to relocate it to another network (branch). As the network ranges are of course different, I configured the DC to use DHCP and planned to assign a static IP in the target network. Now after moving the DC to the other system, I was unable to login at all (pam was not configured). SSH login just never completed, console login was terminated after some timeout. When booting, I was able to see some error messages about service failures, including samba-ad-dc..

As I was having lots of trouble with the dead server, I decided to kill it (virtual machine anyway) and start anew, but I am still wondering whether the idea was wrong, is this a known issue, or just bad luck?

Thanks, Joachim