[Samba] Samba 4.8.3 - Stand-alone server

Bob Wyatt bwyatt_sub at comcast.net
Sat Aug 17 16:47:04 UTC 2019

>>On 16/08/2019 17:39, Bob Wyatt via samba wrote:

>> Presently, we do not wish to use domain credentials - samba users and

>> passwords have been set.

>>However, to establish the map, me the user is asked for their credentials
in

>> a Windows domain user credential pop-up.

>> Not being a Windows/domain administrator, nor a Samba Administrator, are
we

>> missing something in the config file, or a setting in the domain?

>> [global]

>>          workgroup = STA

>>          netbios name = sttest01

>>          server role = standalone

>>          security = user

>>          map to guest = Bad User

>>         passdb backend = tdbsam

>>          printing = cups

>>          printcap name = cups

>>          load printers = yes

>>          cups options = raw

>>          logfile = /var/log/samba/sambalog.log

>>          log level = 1 auth:5

>>          unix password sync = no

>> [homes]

>>          comment = Home Directories

>>          valid users = %S, %D%w%S

>>          browseable = No

>>          read only = No

>>          inherit acls = Yes

>> [printers]

>>          comment = All Printers

>>          path = /var/tmp

>>          printable = Yes

>>          create mask = 0600

>>          browseable = No

>> [print$]

>>          comment = Printer Drivers

>>          path = /var/lib/samba/drivers

>>          write list = @printadmin root

>>          force group = @printadmin

>>          create mask = 0664

>>          directory mask = 0775

>> [AXIARListen]

>>     comment = Axiar Listen directory Retrieval

>>     path = /AXIAR/listen

>>     public = yes

>>     writeable = yes

>>     printable = no

>>     create mask = 0777

>>     guest only = true

>> You will probably always be asked for authentication. I take it we are

>> talking about the 'AXIARListen' share here, if so, then only the guest

>> user will be allowed access. To ensure that it is a guest user, Samba

>> has to check that the user is unknown, so it checks the connecting user

>> against its database and if unknown, the user is mapped to the guest

>> user, it will do this every time a user connect, because the unknown

>> user will not be stored in Samba's database.

> Rowland

The network administrator added the guest parameter when we could not
successfully connect otherwise.

It is not desired to acquire access as a guest.

>From my experience with Samba3, I was expecting Windows to cache the
credentials until the next user workstation reboot.

The samba login credentials for users added were not in the domain\username
format; they were local (to RHEL) login I.D.'s, such as bwyatt.

When the user credentials box pops up, I have no way to be rid of the domain
part of the credentials; we want to use the same login I.D. (such as bwyatt)
for both RHEL/database access and Samba share access.

This server's user login is not a domain user I.D.; aside from me, the
logins are totally disparate.

Thank you (and any others) for any advice tendered.

Bob Wyatt