[Samba] id mapping on a dc+file server

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Aug 12 15:07:13 UTC 2019

Hai Stefan,

Why make DC2 a member??
Leave it as is, setup a new member, much better, and i'll bet less work/stress.

If you current member is a virtual server, follow these setups.
Pick a source server.

Disable samba + winbind for starting up.
Stop samba + winbind.
Then down the member.
!!! THIS ORDER !!!

Copy the virtual.
Start the new virtual.
Change smb.conf and correct the hostname/ipnumbers to the new name.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DO THIS FIRST.

If you forget that, then your source member will get errors.
So dont forget that. !

https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/ChangeHostname
^^ follow it and change the /ip/hostnames where needed.

Cleanup /var/*(lib,cache)/samba
Reboot

And rejoin samba now as normal.
! You can do this also with DC2 as base, but thats up to you to assess what is the best option for you.

And dont forget to enable samba startup again on the vm's

Greetz,

Louis