[Samba] Stale Microsoft Office temp files

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 12 13:19:08 UTC 2019

On 12/08/2019 13:56, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We're having a strange issue: we have several office temp files left around even when files get closed.
> Right now there are no open files on Samba, but there are more than twenty lock files around.
>
> So, given that the file has been accessed correctly by the user and has been correctly saved (no data loss has been reported), what could prevent Office from deleting its files?
> Any suggestion on where to look at to debug the issue?
>
> Thanks
>
> This wasn't happening with Samba 3.x.
>
> Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu.
> Config follows:
>
>   [global]
>       server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>       realm = brivaplast.lan
>       ldap server require strong auth = no
>       netbios name = SMBSERVER
>       workgroup = DOMAIN
>       server role = active directory domain controller
>       log level = 5
>       idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>       ea support = yes
>   [users]
>            path = /home/users/
>            read only = no
>   [profiles]
>      comment = Users profiles
>      path = /home/profiles
>      read only = no
>       browsable = no
>
>   [CONDIVISI]
>   path = /home/CONDIVISI
>   read only = No

OK, I give in, where did the 'netlogon' & 'sysvol' shares go ?

You appear to be trying to use a Samba AD DC as a standard Samba server,
What OS is this on ?

I would start by upgrading everything, 4.3.11 is very old and is EOL

I would also add a Unix domain member, a Samba AD DC used as a
fileserver works very differently from a Unix domain member.

Rowland