[Samba] id mapping on a dc+file server

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Sat Aug 10 08:24:50 UTC 2019

Am 10.08.19 um 09:49 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:

> I hope you can see that, if you do nothing, you will never get the same
> numeric ID on a DC and a Unix domain member using the winbind 'rid'
> backend.

For sure we have 'rid' there ;-)

> The only way to get the same numeric IDs everywhere is to use the
> winbind 'ad' backend. this relies on the addition of uidNumber
> attributes to users and gidNumber attributes to groups. These 'number'
> must be inside the range set in smb.conf, any 'numbers' outside the
> range will be ignored. You must ensure that Domain Users is given a
> gidNumber, or all your users will be ignored.

This would mean fiddling with the DM setup and new risks (afai
understand we would have to at least chown everything etc etc)

I prefer the smaller job: as the rsnapshots only have to be available to
2 or 3 users, I try to rsync "by name" and not with "--numeric-ids" as
it was done before. Maybe add "--chown" as well, we don't need too much
detail in the rsnapshots anyway. I test that now (waiting for such a
snapshot run currently).

Yes, sure, it could be improved, but I am getting tired and exhausted of
fiddling with AD-details at 2 sites lately. Remember these 2 words:
"holiday" and "vacation". When? When?

;-)