[Samba] Standalone Server User Import / Export

David Ayers ayers at fsfe.org
Sat Aug 10 05:20:33 UTC 2019

Am Freitag, den 09.08.2019, 13:41 +0100 schrieb Rowland penny via
samba:
> ayers at vmbuster:~$ sudo tdbdump samba.tdbsam-export
> > {
> > key(19) = "INFO/minor_version\00"
> > data(4) = "\00\00\00\00"
> > }
> > {
> > key(9) = "NEXT_RID\00"
> > data(4) = "\E8\03\00\00"
> > }
> > {
> > key(13) = "INFO/version\00"
> > data(4) = "\04\00\00\00"
> > }
> >
> > I assume that ist not what its supposed to look like?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David
> >

> I don't think so, I have just checked on a standalone server in a VM
> and
> I get a very similar result. I did run tdbdump against
> /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb and get more output, but it is
> unreadable, even though 'man tdbdump' says this:
>
> tdbdump is a very simple utility that 'dumps' the contents of a TDB
> (Trivial DataBase) file to standard output in a human-readable
> format.
>
> There is a big difference between readable and understandable, there
> doesn't seem to be much point in a 'dump' that you cannot understand,
> or
> am I missing something ?

Indeed... so it seems next to the tdbdump issue the issue of pdbedit
also remains open:

Are pdbedit -e/-i intended to be tools to reliably export and import
user data as the man pages suggest:
       -e|--export passdb-backend
           Exports all currently available users to the specified password database backend.

           This option will ease migration from one passdb backend to another and will ease backing
           up.
       -i|--import passdb-backend
           Use a different passdb backend to retrieve users than the one specified in smb.conf. Can be
           used to import data into your local user database.

           This option will ease migration from one passdb backend to another.

Do these three issues warrant a bug report?

> Having said that, they are .tdb files, so back them up with tdbbackup
>
> cd /var/lib/samba/private
>
> tdbbackup passdb.tdb
>
> tdbbackup secrets.tdb
>
> copy the resulting .bak to the new computer and remove the .bak
> suffix.

Done. Thank you.  My specific migration issue is now solved.  And the
my backups scripts have been amended.

Thank you very much for your help!
David

--