[Samba] Windows cannot access \\server check the spelling of the name 0x800704cf

Rich Webb rwebb at zylatech.com
Fri Aug 9 20:31:45 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am randomly getting this message when attempting to connect to my samba 4 file server by entering \\server in the run command in Windows. If I enter \\ip address then it will work every time.  This seems like a DNS issue but not sure why.

I am running Samba version 4.9.2 on both the domain controller (dc2) and the file server (fs1)

I am using the internal DNS server on the domain controller and my Windows machine's DNS is pointed at DC2.  It is joined to the "WEBB" domain.

It was compiled from scratch on both machines and the config files are as follows:

Domain Controller:

# Global parameters
[global]
dns forwarder = 208.67.222.123
netbios name = DC2
realm = WEBB.LOCAL
workgroup = WEBB

[netlogon]
path = /var/locks/sysvol/webb.local/scripts
read only = No

[sysvol]
path = /var/locks/sysvol
read only = No

File Server:

[global]

   netbios name = FS1
   workgroup = WEBB
   security = ADS
   realm = WEBB.LOCAL

   idmap config *:backend = tdb
   idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
   idmap config WEBB:backend = rid
   idmap config WEBB:range = 10000-999999

   winbind enum users  = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes

   vfs objects = acl_xattr
   map acl inherit = Yes
   store dos attributes = Yes

[Installs]
        writeable = yes
        path = /server/installs

There are more shares but they are all pretty much defined the same as the Installs share.

If there is more information needed please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich