[Samba] rsnapshots/rsync 2 shares

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Aug 9 07:23:48 UTC 2019

Slightly OT maybe:

at a customer we run the main data share on the samba file server
(access defined via Windows ACLs) ... so far no surprise ;-)

then we let a 2nd server pull snapshots via rsnapshot (you know:
https://rsnapshot.org/) and provide the resulting tree of snapshots via
samba again: read-only, only for some admin users

So far OK, runs for years (although it gets slower, other topic)

Now we notice issues with accessing snapshots, the ACLs don't get synced
correctly.

I fiddle with the rsync options now.

Currently testing "-aAX" (and waiting for the run to finish).

Does anyone else do something similar?

I also consider simply using "--chown" here: forget the ACLs in the
snapshot, just provide them for the admins to pick files here and there.

And I wonder if "--numeric-ids" is good in this case.

hints welcome