[Samba] Standalone Server User Import / Export

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 8 19:08:01 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-08-08 at 17:04 +0200, David Ayers via samba wrote:
> Hello!
>
> when using Samba [4.5.16-Debian] as standalone server in Windows
> environment to allow certain users to access shares, we are currently
> using the default tdbsam backend with a bunch of users.
>
> We now want to migrate the users from one standalone server to a
> replacement server.  To migrate the users I expected to able to export
> the users (incl. passwords) into a file on one server, copy the file
> over to the new server and import the users there.  Specifically I
> expected using:
>
> old: pdbedit -e tdbsam:/root/samba.user.tdbexp
> new: pdbedit -I tdbsam:/root/samba.user.tdbexp
>
> would do the trick.  A file is created during the export.  The import
> does not complain and has a return value indicating success.  But
> pdbedit -L (-v) does not list any of the imported users.

Just copy (use tdbbackup for safety if you can't stop Samba) all the
tdb files and put them in the same spot on the new server.  That is the
easiest way to do this.

My guess is that the domain sid has been re-randomised on the new
server.  Dump that with 'net' (I forget the subcommand) and force it in
again (it is stored in a host-name specific key in secrets.tdb).

Andrew Bartlett